The 2022 SEMA Show has announced that it will host an expanded SEMA Electrified section.
Located in the North Hall at booth number 11268, the specialised exhibit area will feature the latest advancements in EV technology, including new products and solutions for EV platforms and conversions. In addition to SEMA Electrified, EV projects and products will be displayed throughout the show. Also, the SEMA Show New Products Showcase will add a new category for products related to EVs.
“The EV aftermarket is evolving quickly; we’re curating a unique collection of the latest products related to electric vehicles and the aftermarket,” said Tom Gattuso, SEMA Vice President Of Events. “SEMA Electrified will help businesses see the latest trends and understand how the EV market continues to change. We have also added many new education sessions centred around the EV marketplace so visitors will gain an understanding of the advancements and opportunities for the future.”
SEMA said alternative powertrains currently represent just one per cent of the 250 million cars, SUVs, and light-duty trucks in operation on American roads, but sales and interest in EVs are increasing rapidly. According to recent SEMA market research, the electric market includes several areas of opportunity for the aftermarket, including the development of parts and products to aid in the conversion of older internal-combustion engine (ICE) vehicles; building and modifying new project, racing and purpose-built vehicles; and accessorising new OEM electric offerings.
Scheduled exhibits at the 2022 SEMA Show include:
- The Atom Drive EV system from Ampere EV uses a home-built advanced control system to support a full complement of EV components sourced from third parties such as Tesla and Cascadia. Customers can build their own system by choosing from a range of batteries, chargers, wiring options, and LED screens.
- APP EV Systems, a division of Advanced Performance Parts, designs, builds, and sells turnkey EV conversion kits for classic cars that are engineered to OE specifications. Applications for Porsche 911s, BMW E9s, and Chevrolet C2 Corvettes, among others, are available later this year and early 2023.
- Autel Energy offers the MaxiCharger home AC plug-in wallbox Level 2 EV charger, along with smart chargers that are compatible with all EV and hybrid plug-in vehicles. The chargers offer adjustable charging from 40 to 50 amps, depending on model.
- Electric GT offers turnkey ‘E-Crate’ conversion systems to replace four-, six-, or eight-cylinder ICE vehicles.
- Hypercraft USA offers turnkey electric drive systems for everything from one-off builds to scaled commercial production.
- Legacy EV has EV conversion kits for virtually any petrol-powered vehicle manufactured since 1900. Legacy also offers a variety of individual components for EV conversions, and educational programmes for technicians.
- Motorcadd specialises in EV conversions for medium- and heavy-duty trucks and vans.
- Scorpion EV converts Mk4 roadsters from Factory Five Racing to full EV power using a Tesla Model S drivetrain.
The 2022 SEMA Show will also feature more than 70 education sessions, some of which will focus on vehicle electrification. Examples include:
- Electric Vehicles: What You Need to Know and How to Prepare Your Shop – 31 October, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm, location: N256
- EVs Aren’t Freezing Out ICE Vehicles Yet – 1 November, 9:00 am to 10:00 am, location: N254
- The Electric Truck: Tap Into New Opportunities – 1 November, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm, location: W208
- EV Powertrains for Classic Cars – 2 November, 9:00 am to 10:00 am, location: N256
- Feasibility of Widespread EV Adoption and the True Environmental Benefits – 2 November, 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm, location: N256
- Peer into the Future: Envision the SEMA Show in 10 Years – 3 November, 9:00 am to 10:00, location: N252
- The Future of the Aftermarket in an Electrified World, Powered by ETTN – 3 November, 11:00 am to 12:00 pm, location: N256
- The Future of ICE: Hedging Your Bet With Investment in EVs – 3 November, 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm, location TBA.